•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Help Securing Starter Motor

benv28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Hey all,
I have an 84 BII that's been having some starter motor issues. One day I went to drive home and when I cranked the key it sounded like someone had dumped a bunch of gravel in my engine. Turns out the starter motor came loose and was just grinding itself against the gear without meshing. I replaced the starter, but noticed the previous owner had jammed a non-matching bolt in the lower of the two mounting holes. The starter won't stay tightly in place for more than a few starts because of this.
The hole looks pretty stripped, and I am looking for some advice on tapping a new bolt hole, because I'm at a loss for how big to tap, what thread kind, what tools to borrow, etc. I'm no mechanic, and I appreciate the help!

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I don't know thread size, but it's metric. Take the known good one to a nut and bolt supplier or ford and match it. I would try a threaded insert repair [IE; Helicoil]. The kits should come with the correct drill bit and everything else you need.
Or... maybe drill out to fit a bushing?
Or... maybe tap to the next biggest size? Watch this because the bolt head may get too big to be able to get a wrench on it.
Or... drill all the way thru and use a bolt and nut? I've never worked on a 2.8 so don't know how feasible this is.
I thought the spacer plate centered the starter in the correct position...maybe it's missing or worn?