•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

94_Xploder's build

94_Xploder

Reaction score
I figured id start a build thread to document the work we put into our explorer, This isnt my first RBV or 4x4 so lets start out with my last 4x4 we built: 1996 Toyota tacoma SAS'd on a waggy dana 44, high steer, locked front and rear with 5.13's, 37" creepy crawlers, twin sticks, bobbed bed, chevy leaves out back, sliders, xrc8 winch in a tube bumper, im sure im missing some stuff. I sold this truck to fund our wedding last july and missed offroading, so thats when I found the explorer.

The ranger is my last rbv build, we did a 6" skyjacker class II with leaves in the rear, 33" tsls, cant remember all the details on that one.

That brings me to my explorer, Bought it for $400 from my parents. It's a auto, with 230,000 miles on it. When I got it to the house it was leaking coolant out of the lower intake and the heater control valve. We pulled the intake/valve covers and replaced the gaskets along with the injector o-rings, did a tune-up on it and ive been driving it since. As soon as it got to my house I did a full detail on it and got the paint shining again, did a 2" skyjacker lift and realized its not enough.

Before

After

So after realizing I want it bigger I found "Brian1" on explorerforum and had him build me a custom trans crossmember with mounts for a trail gear creeper joint on a set of custom radius arms.

Found a set of 6in skyjacker coils and a set of skyjacker/duff pivot drop brackets in the forsale section

Going to do a SOA in the rear and run 33x12.50's, planning on gearing it next week to 4.10's and add a locker in the rear, If I can find a ls for the front ill probably run that since I dont want to pay for a ARB.

Put a second factory trans cooler inline with the stock one after flipping the brackets.

This past weekend we pulled the headliner down and replaced it, also added a OHC that I picked up at pull-a-part a few weeks ago.

Thats all I have for now will update this as things get done :icon_welder:

Last edited:

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
nice start:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

and the Taco looked really good as well....hope the Ex turns out just as well....

l8r, John

94_Xploder

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the OHC we put in last weekend finally snapped a pic while I was installing the cross member

Got the cross member all welded up and installed along with the new radius arm mounts

All I need is leaf spring perches and u-bolts for the rear, brake lines, and a pitman arm so I can get the rest of the lift on

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Looks good!

94_Xploder

Reaction score
Got the lift on the truck, the six inch coils only lifted about four inches and I have to get some spacers for the front to clear the steering and match with the SOA in the rear. Got the new radius arms built, now just need to paint everything up. Cant wait to finish this thing up.

Going to be dipping the explorer matte white here pretty soon also, I think it'll look great

94_Xploder

Reaction score
Got the stack of washers welded up and put in, now the steering clears but the front is still a bit lower then the rear so I think im going to pull the aal out. The tires rub while turning in the front I guess since im running 15x10's so ill either have to cut the front fenders or find a different set of wheels.

I noticed the front passenger side spring is bowing out and forward, anyone ever run into something like this? Should I be worried about it?

Its raining out or id have a few more pics but here are two I got

YooperSteeze

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1994/1992
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0/4.0/4.0
That is the sweetest Tacoma I've ever seen. If I were you I would have told my wife that the wedding could wait hahah. But you did what you had to, and now you've joined the good side. I have a 94 explorer also, with 297,000 so we're in pretty much the same boat. Spring over gave you around six inches of lift in the rear I take it?

94_Xploder

Reaction score
That is the sweetest Tacoma I've ever seen. If I were you I would have told my wife that the wedding could wait hahah. But you did what you had to, and now you've joined the good side. I have a 94 explorer also, with 297,000 so we're in pretty much the same boat. Spring over gave you around six inches of lift in the rear I take it?
Yeah the Tacoma came out pretty nice, but I have realized a happy wife is a happy life so I did what I had to do. I have a aal in the rear and the springs were pretty well gone so I got around 6.5 inches. The front end is still a bit low with the 6in spring and a 1in stack of washers so I may order a set of 8in coils and maybe that will give me around 6in's of lift in the front